Sep 16, 2013

DIY Fall Decor | Yarn Covered Vases



Autumn is racing in, leaving us no time to mourn the end of summer's brief visit. This time of year the do-it-yourself/craft bug gets under my skin and all I can think about is decorating for the upcoming holidays. 

I save any glass bottles that end up in my recycling throughout the year, and I'm so glad I do, because they work perfectly for this project! 

All you'll need to recreate this DIY project is:
- Glass bottles of different sizes and shapes. 
- Yarn in fall colors. 
- Glue (I found Elmer's glue works best)
- Scissors
- Flowers or Vase Filler
- Little Embellishments (Optional)

Step 1: Find the bottles you want to use and clean them out. I suggest removing the labels as well. I didn't end up taking the labels off of mine and you can see them through the yarn in a few spots. 


Step 2: Pick out some yarn!


Step 3: Wrap your bottles or vases in yarn starting from the bottom and working your way up. I started out using hot glue, but it was much too messy and thick. Elmer's glue worked perfectly, it allowed me to move the yarn around and dried overnight. 


Step 4: Add some embellishments and flowers! Since the labels were still a little visible in some spots through the yarn, I found these felt leaf cut outs at the dollar store and hot glued them onto the areas that I wasn't happy with. These silk flowers are also from the dollar store. You could always use real flowers...if you're not a plant murderer like me. 


Step 5: Style! I'm using these as a centerpiece for right now, paired with an old globe my Mom found at an auction and some garland from the dollar store! Be creative! 



What do you think, is this something you would try out? What are some of your favorite fall decorations to decorate your home with? Let me know in the comments below! 

Until next time!

Sincerely, Aspen








No comments:

Post a Comment